Perchlorate and SSFL cleanup levels

Abe Weitzberg
Having witnessed the recent flurry of emails regarding perchlorate  I decided to do some research. In Santa Clarita there is an ongoing cleanup of the Whittiker-Bermite site with lots of perchlorate and other things. DTSC is overseeing a risk-based cleanup which appears to be what is needed for SSFL. Of course they don't have the help of Dan Hirsch and his horde of supporters and interfering elected officials, but it is encouraging to see what DTSC can do if left alone to do their job. It is also very discouraging to know that nobody has told the electeds that they are mistaken and interfering to the point of preventing an effective cleanup.

Here is their fact sheet.
https://dtsc.ca.gov/PublicationsForms/upload/Whittaker-Bermite-Fact-Sheet-April-2014-FINAL.pdf

Their CEQA document is very informative about risk-based cleanups.
SSFL look up table values in ppb:
perchlorate 1.63
trichloroethene 5   (TCE)
tetrachloroethene 5  (PCE)

Risk-based target levels (Whittiker-Bermite) in ppb:
perchlorate 100
trichloroethene 23,000   (TCE)
tetrachloroethene 1,200  (PCE)

No wonder we have over 2,000,000 cubic yards of soil to move off-site.

Abe

Re: Perchlorate and SSFL cleanup levels

admin2tomnachtrab
Administrator
The Whittaker-Bermite Site material that DTSC prepared (that Abe points out in the link dtsc.ca.gov/PublicationsForms/upload/Whittaker-Bermite-Fact-Sheet-April-2014-FINAL.pdf )
is especially interesting.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT
THE WHITTAKER-BERMITE SITE CLEANUP

The document contains a FAQ section wherein DTSC very succinctly answers the following questions:

What are the health risks?

Is my water safe to drink?

Can winds blow contaminants into my neighborhood?

Is storm water coming from the Site contaminated?

Who is paying for the cleanup?

What will happen to the property after it is cleaned up?

Who can I contact for more information?

Has DTSC done a similarly straight-talking FAQ for the public regarding SSFL?

Whittaker-Bermite-Fact-Sheet-April-2014-FINAL.pdf

Re: Perchlorate and SSFL cleanup levels

Chris Rowe
Very interesting Tom. The Project Manager there is Jose Diaz. Jose worked on Dayton Canyon and I believe the Santa Susana Pass State Historic Park.

Yes, they have some active community members in that area - some that are the same ones that weigh in  on the SSFL site.

There are a number of DTSC Fact sheets on the SSFL going back to 1990.

Here is an example:
http://www.dtsc-ssfl.com/files/lib_pub_involve/fact_sheets/186_SSFL_FS_Aug06MtgQandA_1206_Revised0307.pdf

The fact sheets can be found in the DTSC document Library under Public Involvement Fact Sheets:
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/SiteCleanup/Santa_Susana_Field_Lab/ssfl_document_library.cfm

Click on Public Involvement in the left column, and then go to fact sheets.

Re: Perchlorate and SSFL cleanup levels

Chris Rowe
I apologize - I assumed that you are Tom if you post as Admin 2. Shouldn't we know who we are replying to - who is Admin 2?